The Newton is a unit of force, IIRC.

Leslie Turriff
MO ITSD

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 14:52
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: units (was: Out damn'd GMT ...)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:13:41 -0500, Turriff, Leslie wrote:

>       Ounces measure weight, not mass.  But there are at least two ounces, the
> "common" ounce (I don't know what its formal name is) [avoirdupois - gil] and
> the Troy ounce, used for measuring gold, etc.

And Specific Impulse is measured in seconds: the time an engine burning one
pound
of fuel can produce one pound of thrust.  So:

    delta-V = ln( initial mass / final mass) * SI * 32.2 ft/sec^2

(What do you think they are?  Rocket scientists?)

And I have been told that engineers working in the metric system use the
kilogram, not the newton, as a unit of weight, and a unit of mass equal to
9.8 kilograms.

Go to your hardware store and ask to buy a rope with a load-bearing
strength rated in newtons.  All terracentric thinking.

-- gil