At 08:33 -0500 on 11/08/2011, Bonno, Tuco wrote about Re: units (was: Out damn'd GMT ...):

my query ( " ..... do any of the ...." ) was purely rhetorical; I do know what they (aces of spades) were used for in vietnam; but the link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26M%27s#1970s_and_1980s
has me puzzled ..... what do M&M-s have to do with it ??? other than c-ration chocolate patties, I never saw ANY chocolate in viet-nam, much less M&M-s ....

That has to do with another of my comments in my original message. I mentioned the time in the 70's when Red M&Ms were withdrawn due to the fear of Red Dye#2 (which was NOT the dye in Red M&Ms) causing cancer. I mentioned that Mars Canada which not only kept that color in that mix but produced large Red-Only bags which were stocked primarily on the US/Canada Border near the border crossings and supposedly were intended to be sold to US tourists. I jokingly referred to their being brought into the US as smuggling contraband. Since they did not use Red Dye#2 there was nothing illegal about them (the withdrawal was voluntary to avoid confusion with the suspect dye) and I was once at a Science Fiction Convention were some of our Canadian members brought lots of them for the Hospitality Suite (where they were a hit).

Since I am the one that made the comment about the Ace of Spade Decks, I might as well expand on the origin of the decks and the Wikipedia article (at least to the best of my understanding). There was a large spike in requests for playing card decks from the soldiers in Viet Nam. Upon investigation it was discovered that they were opening the decks, removing the Ace of Spades and throwing the rest of the cards away. This triggered the creation of the decks so there would be no wastage and they could be efficiently used.