On 11/11/2011 5:37 PM, Steve Horein wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the term OCO. Like I
mentioned, IOVT/IOCIOVTP isn't the first address I've
encountered that once I got there, I didn't know exactly what
I was looking at! I do think the Data Area manuals are
extremely helpful by noting the size and the different
information contained, but I seem to hit a dead end.

When IBM first released the System 360, all software was made available in source form, in addition to the normal distributions of object or load module format. When we ordered a new release of OS/360, we also ordered the optional source material tapes, and the matching microfiche. In addition, fixes were available both on tape, and their source on microfiche updates.

In the sixties, IBM was sued by Applied Data Research for distributing free software (purportedly) similar to what ADR wanted to sell (ROSCOE vs. IBM's CRBE/CRJE). The outcome was IBM's decision to charge for all software other than the base system. In the seventies, a company a friend of mine refers to as Jujitsu took the entire MVS system code, removed all copyright statements, removed all references to IBM, made some minor changes, and sold the resulting system with its own hardware. IBM's response, other than a court case, was to restrict all source code (other than HASP/JES2) from distribution, and to cease making the optional source and fiche available. They referred to this as Object Code Only (OCO). A result is a lack of needful information in manuals, as you noted. Some of us look through dumps, and trace execution flow, to figure out what is happening, but that's a gray area, as IBM's standard contracts prohibit reverse engineering.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT