From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Steve Horein
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:22 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Data Areas?

Thanks for the tip! I did pass along the IPCS command LISTEDT DETAIL to the
DASD guy the other day, but I'm not sure if that was a usable solution.

On Nov 11, 2011 9:41 PM, "Tony Harminc" <t...@harminc.net> wrote:

On 11 November 2011 19:56, Steve Horein <steve.hor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see. So while not imposs...
It can be so, but it can also be educational and even at times, fun.
Ordinarily it is unwise to build anything that matters on a base of
undocumented and unsupported control blocks, but there are times when you just
really need to know.

One popular source (heh) for otherwise undocumented control block information
is the mappings supplied for use by IPCS. These are in SYS1.MIGLIB (and
possibly other places for some products), and the format is described in the
IPCS Customization book. Well, there are at least two kinds of things in this
dataset: executable routines of various sorts, and control block models defined
using the BLS...
macros described in the book. While I don't suggest trying to reverse-engineer
any programs you may find, you can use IPCS itself to invoke the control block
models using the CBF command. Many of these are invoked for you when you run
component analysis (option 2.6), or the supplied VERBEXIT commands, and even
the output from these analyses often provides useful information.

In many cases you can use CBF to format an area of storage that is not the
"real thing", e.g. is just a piece of your own private area, using a formatting
module with a name suggested by the component prefix you are interested in.
Obviously the content of the output will be largely meaningless, but the field
names may be useful to know.

Need I repeat the warning to avoid relying on anything you may discover for any
sort of production use, or indeed anything beyond satisfying your own curiosity?

Tony H.

lists...@bama.ua.edu w...

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html