On 11 November 2011 19:56, Steve Horein <steve.hor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see. So while not impossible to make my own maps for reference, it
> will/would be a tedious and time consuming effort. Thanks for the explanation!

It can be so, but it can also be educational and even at times, fun.
Ordinarily it is unwise to build anything that matters on a base of
undocumented and unsupported control blocks, but there are times when
you just really need to know.

One popular source (heh) for otherwise undocumented control block
information is the mappings supplied for use by IPCS. These are in
SYS1.MIGLIB (and possibly other places for some products), and the
format is described in the IPCS Customization book. Well, there are at
least two kinds of things in this dataset: executable routines of
various sorts, and control block models defined using the BLS...
macros described in the book. While I don't suggest trying to
reverse-engineer any programs you may find, you can use IPCS itself to
invoke the control block models using the CBF command. Many of these
are invoked for you when you run component analysis (option 2.6), or
the supplied VERBEXIT commands, and even the output from these
analyses often provides useful information.

In many cases you can use CBF to format an area of storage that is not
the "real thing", e.g. is just a piece of your own private area, using
a formatting module with a name suggested by the component prefix you
are interested in. Obviously the content of the output will be largely
meaningless, but the field names may be useful to know.

Need I repeat the warning to avoid relying on anything you may
discover for any sort of production use, or indeed anything beyond
satisfying your own curiosity?

Tony H.