On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:24:25 +0530, Jake anderson wrote:

>"I am quite sure that the 'password' error is caused by the fact that the
>data set is SMS managed."
>
>Was just curious to know why this "password error" Pops up for the SMS
>managed Dataset whereas we have not protected the dataset with Password.

Probably because IEHPROGM is a very old program, predating SMS
by decades.  There was probably a an error from the RENAME macro
with status code 2:

  | 2 (X'02')       | One of the following conditions occurred:            |
  |                 |                                                      |
  |                 |    The data set could not be renamed because the    |
  |                 |     data set was password protected and the password |
  |                 |     was not supplied in the two attempts allowed.    |
  |                 |                                                      |
  |                 |    An attempt was made to rename a VSAM data space  |
  |                 |     or an integrated catalog facility VSAM data set. |
  |                 |    An attempt was made to rename a VTOC index data  |
  |                 |     set.                                             |
  |                 |    An SMS-validation failure occurred.              |

As has been mentioned by others, you can not use IEHPROGM to
rename an SMS-managed data set because every SMS-managed
data set must be cataloged.

--
Tom Marchant