svet...@ameritech.net (scott) writes:
> Just was wondering where TCP/IP stack came from for use in z/OS?  Did
> it originate from the University of Berkley?

I hadn't followed the recent.

The original mainframe tcp/ip stack product was implemented on vm370 in
(mainframe) vs/pascal ... purely IBM implementation. A side-effect, is
that it had none of the buffer length exploits that are common in
C-language implementations. It was ported to MVS by implementing
simulation of some of the vm370 features.

recent discussion in linkedin mainframe group about doing the rfc1044
for the implementation and getting possibly 500 times improvement in the
bytes moved per instruction executed.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011p.html#36 Has anyone successfully migrated off
mainframes
misc. other posts mentioning having done rfc1044 support for the
mainframe implementation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

this was approx. the same time that Berkeley released 4.3 Reno & Tahoe
implementations that show up as the TCP/IP stack on lots of other
platforms. Some trivia ... we were doing ha/cmp and using ip-address
take-over for some of the recovery procedures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

and find a "bug" in the 4.3 ARP cache code (translates ip-address to
LAN/MAC) that was being used on large number of clients ... which
creates problems for the ip-address take-over recovery strategy.

another trivia ... after we leave ... two of the people mentioned
in the old post about jan92 meeting in Ellison's conference room ...
also leave and show up at a small client/server startup responsible
for something called the "commerce server". We are brought in as
consultants because they want to do payment transactions on the
server; the small startup has also invented this technology called
"SSL" they wanted to use. As part of availability for what is called
the "payment gateway" ... sits on the internet and is gateway
between webservers and the payment networks ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#payment

we have multiple connections in different parts of internet backbone and
use multiple A-record support. I try and convince the browser group that
they need to be supporting multiple A-record also ...  as part of
availability for client/server to webservers. They say it is too
complicated. I provide them examples from 4.3 Reno clients ... they
still stay it is too complicated. It takes another year to get multiple
A-record support into the browser.

later the communication group hires a subcontractor to do a tcp/ip stack
implementation in VTAM. the initial implementation had tcp performing
significantly better than lu6.2. He was told that everybody knows that a
proper tcp/ip implementation would be slower than lu6.2 and they weren't
going to be paying for anything other than a "proper" implementation.