The "heads up" of course is valuable - it's what this list is about.

>> Just wanted to pass on a heads up on some APARs that require
>> HDS microcode on DASD.  And that microcode will not be
>> available until the 2nd week in January.

> Was there a HOLD(ACTION) [or it might need to be
> HOLD(DEPENDENT?) - I forget] against these APARs (or the
> Fix PTFs)? If not, a BIG "PACKAGING PROBLEM" report
> should be filed with IBM since this dependency should have
> been mentioned so as to suppress accidental installation as
> occurred to you ...

Hmmm.

Despite my current dispute with IBM's asshole PoK lawyer ...

As a previous employee of quite a few PCMs (Itel, National Advanced Systems,
BASF/Comparex,
Amdahl) it might seem odd that I have great sympathy for IBM in this case.  You
just would not
believe the complexity of the testing that is implied here.

a) How do you determine which vendors are actually involved?  Don't dismiss
this question -
it's one of the big ones.  Lawyers (even real bad ones) go white on this.

Don't laugh.  Fundemental

b) Given the competitive nature of the business and the fact that legal
entities may be
involved (new interfaces, etc., regulatory authorities) how do you establish
contact with
potential third parties?

c) Is it reasonable to expect, e.g., IBM, to maintain a skill level regarding a
potentially
involved third party product sufficient to enable them internally to flag a
potential issue?
To the degree that a user SMP/E clerk can depend on it?

d) The products sold by other vendors are capable of an almost infinite
combination of
configurations.  Which, exactly, should be tested - and at what expense, since
few such
vendors will offer IBM the kind of discounts they offer their users for
hardware access?

e) For any given PCM product, how many of the concurrently supported microcode
levels should
IBM test - given that they would be able to obtain back-level versions, whch
most users
cannot.

I'm sorry - but as a life-long (almost) PCMer - I have to say this is part of
the deal.  If
you have non-IBM (or even IBM, come to that) devices in your configuration then
change control
becomes YOUR responsibility.

--
  Phil Payne