I am writing a program which will ATTACH IDCAMS to do some things. I
have been reading:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2I2A0/D.1
which goes over the commands which require APF authorization. I have one
question that perhaps someone here knows the answer to. The above
states:
<quote>
An address space that calls IDCAMS to issue any of these commands must
be APF authorized, or the command will terminate:

      * ALLOCATE command to allocate an SMS-managed data set
</quote>

What is the meaning of the second "allocate" in that sentence? Does it
mean "create" as in "allocate a new" or does it mean the more generic
"allocate" as in "do a dynamic allocation" even if the dataset already
exists?

I know, "try it and see". When I get to that point, I will. I'm writing
a UNIX command (in HLASM) which runs IDCAMS from a UNIX shell prompt.
I'm still in the design stage on what I want it to "look like" in terms
of options and arguments.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><