On 12/30/11 08:39, Mark Zelden wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:28:02 -0600, John McKown<joa...@swbell.net>  wrote:

Now I really wonder why the ALLOCATE
verb even exists.
The first (and only) place I saw it used is was in the ServerPac allocate job
(and it
wasn't always that way).   I don't know if it was originally developed for
ServerPac
use or not (but I'm sure John Eells knows).

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com

Actually I'm to blame for the use of IDCAMS ALLOCATE in the Server Pack allocate job. Prior to the use of IDCAMS I noticed that the allocation of the thousand or so datasets in JCL was sucking up CPU time since it ran at a dispatching priority of x'FE'.

I opened up an ETR with IBM Server Pac support and recommended the IDCAMS ALLOCATE verb instead of PGM=IEFBR14.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

Don't be too sweet lest you be eaten up; don't
be too bitter lest you be spewed out.

Yiddish Proverb