From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Roberts, John J
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: 21st Century Migrates Mainframe with Clerity

>Last I heard, they were a relatively small Prop/Casualty insurer....

>Certainly not a State Farm, Prudential, Farmers, Allstate,.....

Just the same, Clerity has had a few high profile successes doing
migrations.  The NYSE used the Clerity solution back in 2008 to migrate
a major trading application.  10 million lines of code were re-hosted
and a 1660 MIPS mainframe complex was retired.

So it can be done.  Back in 2004-2005, I was part of a small team at the
Washington State Department of Licensing that migrated the Driver and
Vehicle licensing apps off their UNISYS mainframe onto Windows Servers
running Fujitsu NetCOBOL.  This too was entirely successful.

I have heard good things about the Oracle solution which is built upon
Tuxedo.

There have been some big failures too.  It seems that you need to be
very selective about what apps you attempt to replatform.  CICS/DB2
seems to be the sweet spot.  But once you start introducing the
complexities of SYSPLEX, IRC, MRO, VSAM, DL/1, PL/I, etc. you are
heading into uncharted waters and need to be very careful.

My opinion is that such replatforming projects will continue.  But I
don't think IBM listers need fear, since I believe that the rate of
system programmer retirements will far exceed the rate of mainframe
platform retirements, at least for the next decade.

John
P.S I have no relationship with any migration vendors mentioned here.  I
used to work for Fujitsu/Amdahl/DMR, but that career ended in 2008.  Now
I am just an independent contractor.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

By replying to this e-mail, you consent to SunTrust's monitoring activities of
all communication that occurs on SunTrust's systems.

SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc. Live
Solid. Bank Solid. is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.

[ST:XCL]