re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#20 21st Century Migrates Mainframe with
Clerity

other measures TPC-C:
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp

ibm has six in the top ten ... power ... but also @#8&#10 using (older)
quad-core Xeon (but they are also the lowest price/tpmC)

TPC benchmarks:
http://www.tpc.org/information/benchmarks.asp
early history
http://www.tpc.org/information/who/gray.asp
past posts mentioning original sql/relational implementations in
bldg. 28 ... some of the time with Jim:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr

guess as to z196 comparison (from older z10 & nehalem comparison):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboHercules#Performance

from above:

"...we can run a reasonably sized load (800MIPS with our standard
package). If the machine in question is larger than that, we can scale
to 1600MIPS with our quad Nehalem based package and we have been
promised an 8 way Nehalem EX based machine early next year that should
take us to the 3200MIPS mark. Anything bigger than that is replicated by
a collection of systems."

... snip ...

and:

Current high end System z10 systems are capable of performance up to
around 28,000 MIPS (for aggregate performance of many CPUs in a fully
configured 64-CPU multiprocessor server), so Hercules is outperformed by
almost one order of magnitude. However, Hercules on a PC costs several
orders of magnitude less[citation needed] than those high end System z
systems.

... snip ...

z196 has been been claimed to be 50% faster than Z10 or 42BIPS ...
however reference claims z196 peak at 50BIPS (possibly larger number of
CPUs?) ... aka
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/01/ibm-unveils-worlds-fastest-microprocessor/

TurboHercules runs possibly 10 native intel instructions for every
emulated mainframe instruction ... and emulated 3.2BIPS mainframe with
8way Nehalem EX ... then is 32BIPS native (compared to z196 peak
50BIPS).