glenn.schn...@suntrust.com (Schneck.Glenn) writes:
> Although there may be some 'success' stories the issue I have with most
> vendors is where they tout - We migrated this company off the mainframe
> and save 10,000+ MIPS.  In reality they probably moved a small
> application of about 1000 - 2000 MIPS which happened to be the last one
> on the mainframe.

a couple bits from similar thread in (linkedin) Mainframe Exports
http://lnkd.in/2syFGU

Cloud Use Rises, Mainframe Usage Declines as Data Centers Grow and Green,
According to AFCOM Survey
http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110330005393/en/cloud/disaster-recovery/data-center

from above:

Demise of the Mainframe: While historically one of the most critical
elements of any data center, today, mainframe usage continues to
shrink. While AFCOM predicts mainframes will exist forever in some
capacity, their prevalence has been severely diminished.

... snip ...

BM Sees A Big Boost As It Turns 100
http://www.npr.org/2011/12/28/143834727/ibm-sees-a-big-boost-as-it-turns-100

from above:

The company sold its PC business 6 years ago, and now, more than 83
percent of its business is services and software. Sign a contract with
Big Blue and you get consulting, cloud computing, servers, analytics,
even financing.

... snip ...

compared to mid-80s when top management was predicting mainframe sale
growth would double corporate revenue (from $60B to $120B, approx $252B
today) and instituted a massive building program to double mainframe
manufacturing ... this was at a point when there were already indicators
of mainframe business heading in the opposite direction ... and the
company goes into the red a few years later.

Note that in above, that remaining 17% revenue would include everything
else besides software&services (aka all kinds of hardware & platforms)

note that in addition to failures migrating off of mainframe ... there
has also been some number of monumental re-engineering failures
... involving staying on the mainframe (any major change at all ... even
when not changing the mainframe)

as I've periodically pontificated in the past ... there are numerous
mega-datacenters around the world ... any one of the mega-datacenters
possibly having more aggregate processing power than current total
installed traditional mainframes.

estimated 10,000 mainframes at 4,000 to 5,000 customers around globe
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2010-08-10/news/27620495_1_mainframe-ibm-big-challenge

zEnterprise 196 can execute 50BIPs/second
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/01/ibm-unveils-worlds-fastest-microprocessor/

Intel Core i7 at 177,730 MIPs/sec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second

or almost 180BIPs/sec ... which makes i7 equivalent of more than three
z196??

mega-datacenters have been quoted at half-million to over million
processors.