From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 7:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Master Catalog query

Veilleux, Jon L wrote:

>In the 'bad old days' we used to manipulate the master catalog initialization
>code in NIP to actually do what you are talking about. We had one master
>catalog for 'production' jobs and one for 'test' jobs. We zapped the Operating
>System code at crucial points (Open, Close, etc), looked at the category of
>the job to determine which catalog to use, and then [pointed to the
>appropriate master catalog. The confusion this brought on cannot be
>overstated!

Ouch. If I smell something like this zaps at my work, I will zap myself away...
:-D

To do you way via zapping is dangerous enough even if it is WAD...

jagadishan perumal wrote:

>As in general we are aware that we can have 1 master catalog and multiple user
>catalogs in a system. It is also factual that we can have alternate Master
>catalog with another Updated LOADxx member.

Correct. This is to protect your system, by making it difficult to switch
catalogs. But on the other side, this is also an easy recovery method in case
your Master Catalog is broken or your volume where it resides is broken.

This is of course you have a good backup copy residing somewhere.

>My question is to know whether if we can have possible to have multiple
>master-catalog with multiple user catalog running on a single image?

No. [1] If that is possible, I don't know about it.

AFAIK, there is only ONE standard catalog search order which ends up in Master
Catalog. [2]

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - This is not the same concept where you can import a Master Catalog (used
by another LPAR) into your system as an User Catalog.

[2] - You can bypass standard catalog search order using non-recommended
methods (RACF profile or JOBCAT/STEPCAT for example)

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you. Aetna