I was a FidoNet user. A sort of distributed BBS network. Dial into a
local node, pick up and send messages. The local nodes would exchange
messages throughout the day (usually at night). Dial in the next day to
get the newly distributed message. Repeat daily. Loved my 56Kb modem.

And, of course, CompuServe before the WWW was generally available.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><