joa...@swbell.net (John McKown) writes:
> I was a FidoNet user. A sort of distributed BBS network. Dial into a
> local node, pick up and send messages. The local nodes would exchange
> messages throughout the day (usually at night). Dial in the next day to
> get the newly distributed message. Repeat daily. Loved my 56Kb modem.
>
> And, of course, CompuServe before the WWW was generally available.

ibm internal network was larger than the arpanet/internet from just
about the beginning until possibly late '85/early '86. some past
posts ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet
some old internal network email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#vnet

a gateway between internal network and csnet fall '82 ...  reference
(had similar periodic dial-up and exchange messages)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/98.html#email821022
in this old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/98.html#59
wiki reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSNET

this ibm-main mailing list originated on bitnet ... bitnet used
technology similar to what was used for the internal network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BITNET
some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#bitnet

bitnet equivalent in europe was called earn ... old email
from person responsible for setting up earn
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#email840320

another dial-up network was usenet using UUCP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

originating usenet "newsgroups" ... which survives today running over
tcp/ip ... as well as shadowed on google ... and this ibm-main mailing
list is also gatewayed to usenet in bit.listserv hierarchy as
bit.listserv.ibm-main. bitnet mailing list support done in paris
(earn)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LISTSERV
and
http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-history.asp

The internal equivalent to LISTSERV was called TOOLSRUN and could
operate both in a mailing list mode as well as in a usenet-like
newsgroup mode.

one of the reasons that internet nodes started to exceed internal
network nodes ... was the communication group was enforcing terminal
emulation paradigm on the internal network (so it was limited to just
mainframe nodes) ... while on the internet was starting to see
workstations and PCs as internet peer nodes.

tcp/ip is the technology basis for the modern internet, nsfnet backbone
was the operational basis for the modern internet, and cix was the
business basis for the modern internet. ... misc. old email about
working with entities leading up to nsfnet T1 backbone
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#nsfnet
some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#nsfnet
wiki reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation_Network

i had T1 and faster links running internally ... in project
i called hsdt ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

which was one of the reasons for the NSFNET BACKBOME RFP calling for T1.
the winning bid actually put in 440kbit links ... but possibly somewhat
to meet the letter of the RFP, installed T1 trunks with multiplexor
running multiple 440kbit links through the T1 trunks. We made some snide
remarks about they possibly could have called it at T5 network ... since
some the 440kbit links may have been routed at some points in
multiplexed T5 trunks.

past posts mentioning internet
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internet

... virtual machines, lots of online computing, the internal network
technology, GML and various other stuff originated at cambridge science
center ... established 1Feb1964 ... some old posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech
some other about creation of the internal network (as well as technology
used for bitnet)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSCS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edson_Hendricks
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cool-to-be-clever-edson-hendricks/id483020515?mt=8

and some www ... GML was invented at the science center in 1969 ... some
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#sgml

a decade later it morphs into iso international standard sgml ... and
after another decade it morphs into html at certn ... ref:
http://infomesh.net/html/history/early

then first web server in the US is on the slac vm/370 system
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/history/earlyweb/history.shtml