"Barbara Nitz" <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:<8630145777771846.wa.nitzibmgmx....@bama.ua.edu>...
> >Maybe you can explain what MQ and broker issues you have and why you
> >think this is related to paging and/or the page configuration.
> I agree with Kees. What exactly is your 'issue' with 'the broker'?
(Assuming that MQS is just the innocent bystander here.)

> >I know the broker uses a lot of virtual storage, which indeed
requires
> >additional paging space, so the first check you can do is check how
full
> >your paging configuration is.
>
> 'The broker' uses a lot of shared storage (SHRLIBRGNSIZE), and it has
a bad habit of polling for work (i.e., in all those numbered address
spaces' timers pop at the same time), generating artificial 'loads' that
WLM cannot keep up with. In our production environment 'the brokers'
generally have a PI in the double digits (yes, double digit PI,
sometimes up to triple digits - a bad clicker application NOT designed
for resource sharing, i.e. z/OS). From what I understand, in the newest
release they also 'require' a lot of 64bit storage, possibly due to some
sort of websphere application server hidden in there (but I may be wrong
on this).
> I also have the sneaking suspicion (which I am currently also
investigating) that 'the broker' goes out and gets itself a lot of
(virtual) storage, touches each and every of those pages and then never
uses them. Which means they become slots out on AUX, or rather, they
become dead weight.

Dead, until you stop the Execution Groups. For some reason this storage
is then needed and paged in again, which turned up in delays during
shutdown and brought 1 or 2 bad performing hotspots in my paging
configuration above the table (or is this typically Dutch).

Kees.

>What's a few more Gig of storage to a clicker, anyway?
>
> If your issue is 'only' paging, then do a D ASM and add local page
space until % usage is way below 30%.  Make sure that you have your
PAGTOTL in ieasys sufficiently high, as that can only be changed via
IPL.

> Barbara

> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
e-mail, and delete this message.