On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:01:48 +0000, Lopez, Sharon <sharon.lo...@nc.gov> wrote:

>Can someone please help me determine what the 'acceptable paging' should be on
>a system?  We are having issues with MQ and broker.  Thanks.

Any amount that still keeps your end user response time and job turnaround
times within your SLAs.   If you have no SLAs then whatever keeps your
phone from ringing.  :-)

That being said, as inexpensive as memory is these days and the benefits of
reduced I/O by taking advantage of features within the OS that utilize more
memory, I think most shops try to keep their demand paging close to zero for
production LPARs.

One of the LPARs I support is a WAS development LPAR with 183 control and
servant regions and even though it has 80G of real storage the average demand
paging rate is probably between 10-30 and at times it goes up a lot higher
(over 100).
But since it is a development LPAR, the response time is acceptable.   The
production WAS LPARs have less regions and more storage and demand
paging is zero. We are also using 64-bit WAS and large pages (LFAREA) for
production.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com