"Thomas Berg" <thomas.b...@swedbank.se> wrote in message
news:<a90e503c23f97441b05ee302853b0e6263ff850...@fspas01ev010.fspa.myntet.se>...
> [...]

This is a huge conversion.

There was a good point in your previous suggestion and in Gill's: take a
primary allocation and add ever larger secondaries. With multivolume datasets,
you can have a lot of extents and consequently a lot of space, all without
having to change the current limits in the Dasd architecture.

It only requires a new Space Constraint Releave algorithme.

This is what DB2 does nowadays. Our DB2 administrators converted to this
(-1,-1) allocation a year ago and happily saw problems with mis/underallocated
space amounts disappear completely and we gained back a lot of unnecessarily
overallocated space from the former way of database space allocation. The knife
cuts on both sides this way.

Kees.
e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286