We do this.  And while it somewhat simplifies things, it doesn't eliminate the
requirement of determining how much storage is required.  It just moves it, and
gives a set of sizes, rather than infinite granularity.

We have the following SMS data classes:

DATACLAS AVGREC   PRIMARY SECONDARY VOLUMES

JUMBO    M        3000    1500       9
LARGE    M        1000     500       9
MEDIUM   M         100      50       9
SMALL    M          10       5       9
TINY     K        1024     512       9
MINI     K          20      20       9
NULL     -           0       0       1

(On further reflection TINY and MINI should be reversed, but it was "too late"
by the time we noticed.)

Is this the best?  No idea.  But it's what we did.
Of course we probably have a huge number of files that specify LARGE when they
could be MEDIUM or less...

Frank