Predictably--I am the pedant who insists on distinguishing KB and
KiB--Bill Fairchild's point seems to me to be important.   Quaint,
long familiar terminology should be avoided where it is misleading.

The original System/360 scheme was simple and in its way elegant.
01F---decodable unambiguously into (multiplexor) channel 0, control
unit 1, and that control unit's device F or 15---was, for example, the
usual device address of the card punch circa 1965, when punches were
still real rather than virtual devices.

Whatever its historical interest may be, this scheme and its
progressively less elegant, patched together successors are now
architecturally irrelevant; and it is time to 1) give the old
terminology a decent burial and 2) talk about device numbers instead.

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA