On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 15:40:25 -0600, Tom Marchant wrote:

>>By PCFLIH backdoor I mean a routine whose address
>>replaced the address of the IBM supplied PCFLIH.

>That would be a hook or an intercept.
>"Backdoor" means something else entirely.

You have your definition for 'backdoor', I have mine, Next.

>>The backdoor routine received control every time a
>>PC interrupt

>ITYM a program interruption.

Yes.

>That is certainly not what the vendor routine being
>discussed is alleged to have done.  It is alleged to
>return to the program that was interrupted in supervisor
>state.  It is further alleged that it is relatively easy for
>any program to exploit this and to get put into
>supervisor state.

I keep seeing that 'alleged' word.  Doesn't anyone actually know what they
did/do, and how did
they do this magic without being APF authorized, and if they were APF
authorized then they could
by definition switch anyone or any task in the system to supervisor state so
what does it matter at that
point anyway; the battle is lost, get out your white flags and start waving.

Now if they did this magic and they were NOT APF authorized, then we have a lot
to talk about here.

I have not seen the vendor code and cannot comment on what it does or does not
do or
how much security checking it does or does not perform before it does what it
does.

My defense was of the use of the technique of 'backdooring, hooking,
intercepting,
or whatever word you choose to use in whatever language you choose to use' when
it is
the appropriate technique. I would really hate to see IBM use this discussion
as a justification for somehow
making it impossible for a sharp systems programmer or vendor to use this
technique when there are
times that it is the only technique that will work. I guess it was that
'criminal' word in the subject line that set me off.

As for what the vendor did, I am not offering any justification and if what you
would like to
organize with this discussion is a party where we all get together a roast a
few vendors I will not only
volunteer to bring some firewood I will also invite my CA and IBM marketing
reps to come with me to the party!

Gene Pate
CSX Technology
Enterprise Architecture

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may
contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only
for the use of the intended addressee.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents
of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and  notify sender at the above CSX
email address.  Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage
caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.