Charles - yes, it is somewhat ambiguous what "violation of the IBM statement of integrity" means. Perhaps some Integrity Vulnerability examples will help clarify:

1) If your authorized program while executing in PSW key 0-7 stores into an address provided by an unauthorized caller then this is a violation of the IBM statement of integrity.

2) If your authorized program while executing in PSW Key 0-7 or supervisor state branches to an address provided by an unauthorized requester then this is a violation of the IBM statement of Integrity.

3) If your authorized program while executing in PSW Key 0-7 or supervisor state returns control to an unauthorized requester in an authorized state then this is a violation of the IBM statement of Integrity. By authorized state I mean PSW Key 0-7, Supervisor state, or now has the ability to MODESET.

4) If your authorized program while executing in PSW Key 0-7 copies fetch protected storage to non-fetch protected storage then this is a violation of the IBM statement of integrity.

The "unauthorized requester" in these case's would be any PSW Key 8 problem state program that is not currently enabled to MODESET prior to issuing a request to an authorized service. After the request completes the program now has new capabilities that were not available prior to the request such as:

- The program could now be in an authorized state (psw key 0-7 or supervisor state)
-    The program could now have the ability to MODESET
- The security credentials may have been dynamically elevated (i.e. - I now have RACF privileged attribute which I did not have before) - Some code provided by my program could have been executed in an authorized state (PSW Key 0-7 or Supervisor state).

If you examine the before and after state around the invoking of the authorized service you generally see some form of elevated capabilities when a violation of the IBM statement of integrity occurs.

Ray Overby
Key Resources, Inc.
Ensuring System Integrity for z/Series^(TM)
www.zassure.com
(312)574-0007