Swans, white and black, have a long history in scholastic and then
mathematical logic, figuring too frequently in illustrations of modus
ponens:

All swans are white.  A is a swan.  Ergo, A is white.

The heavy, unquestioning use of this scheme presumably reflects the
fact that northern hemisphere swans, European and Japanese swans in
particular, were/are white.

All this changed when the southern hemisphere, Australian and New
Zealand, black swan, Cygnus atratus, was discovered in the late 18th
century.

"Black swan" then came to have another, quite different connotation.
It is used to describe putatively rare things when they are in fact
found and sometimes even to derogate rareness, as in the recent heavy
use of variants of

Unscrupulous, greedy bankers are not black swans.

Produce is used in logic as shorthand for provide an instance of in
the sense of the existential quantifier, assert or show there is at
least one S such that S is an x.

Obtusely, I had not thought about the 'production of a black swan' in
its other, literal or Marxist economic sense, accomplished say by
painting a white swan black; but I agree that the idea is repellent.
(We again have a significant, growing population of white swan pairs
resident throughout the year in our glacial ponds/reservoirs here in
Massachusetts west of Boston.  They are very tolerant of people, and I
should not want to see that change.)

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA