dickbond...@gmail.com (Dick Bond) writes:
> I agree with Chris Mason.   IBM should have never started called it USS -
> how about a simple definitive abbreviation, like "zUnix".  IBM adores
> putting a "z" in front of everything (for some clueless reason) so why
> should their version of Unix be any different?

back when MVS posix support started ... was in the unix wars period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_wars

which also resulted in the formation of OSF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Software_Foundation

to produce a posix, copyright-free implementation

while we were doing HA/CMP product
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

we also did some consulting to the executive that was behind doing the
MVS posix implementation ... it was one of the many efforts to try and
get around the strangle-hold that the communication group had on the
datacenter ... attempting to reverse lots of stuff that was fleeing the
mainframe to more distributed computing friendly platforms.