mike.a.sch...@gmail.com (Mike Schwab) writes:
> Since they have AIX on Power, how about zIX or MIX.  One concern I
> have is an operating system name without z/OS implies a completely
> independent operating system, not a subsystem of z/OS.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012e.html#13 A z/OS Redbook Corrected - just about!

besides the OSF and POSIX support on MVS folklore

recent tale of origin of "AIX"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012e.html#2

was done for IBM by the company that had done port of AT&T unix to
ibm/pc as "PC/IX" ... i.e. ROMP was originally going to be the followon
to the Displaywriter ... but when that was canceled, it was redirected
to the unix workstation market (as PC/RT with AIX). RS/6000 and Power
were then followon to PC/RT.

the above also mentioned that the people that had done the initial
development for what becomes SUN workstation, had come to IBM about
producing the product. There was meeting in Palo Alto that included
several organizations around the company ... afterwards several
organizations all claimed that they were doing something better ..  and
IBM declined to come out with SUN workstation.

Palo Alto had been working on port of Berkeley's unix work-alike (BSD)
to mainframe ... but later get redirected to port it to the PC/RT
... coming out as "AOS" (as an alternative to AIX).

I had done internal advanced technology conference spring of 1982
... one of the first since the mid-70s ... when there was lots of
corporate retrenching after the failure of Future System effort .. some
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

Presentations included BSD implementation on vm/370, TSS/370 UNIX PRPQ
for AT&T, and CMS running under MVS ... old post regarding the adtech
conference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#4a

Palo Alto was also working with UCLA and its unix work-alike (Locus)
... and ported it to both mainframe and ps2 ... which was released as
AIX/370 and AIX/386.

Another unix work-alike was MACH done at CMU ... a derivative can still
be found as the Apple operating system.

recent tale of mainframe "C language"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012d.html#64 Layer 8: NASA unplugs last mainframe

There joint project between IBM and AT&T for unix on the mainframe
... purely for AT&T internal use ... it involved doing a stripped down
TSS/370 (residual limited availability follow-on to TSS/360) kernel with
unix higher levels layered on top.

Part of the TSS/370 strategy was to provide an alternative to Amdahl's
"UTS" (unix) & Amdahl processors for large number of AT&T installations.

As an aside, person responsible for UTS (code named "GOLD" during
development for Au or Amdahl Unix) had done port of unix to ibm
mainframe at school. When he was graduating, some of us attempted
unsuccesfully to get IBM to make him an offer.