On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:16:32 -0700, Dick Bond <dickbond...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree with Chris Mason.   IBM should have never started called it USS -
>how about a simple definitive abbreviation, like "zUnix".  IBM adores
>putting a "z" in front of everything (for some clueless reason) so why
>should their version of Unix be any different?

I'm not getting in the middle of this (again!), but "USS" started long
before "z" was ever around.   And before it was USS -  "Unix System Services"
under OS/390, it was OMVS - "Open Edition" or Open Edition MVS.  BTW,
I still see OMVS used a lot as well.   USS is one less key stroke.  :-)

The problem with this discussion (that never seems to end) is that you can't
IBM renamed the MVS component to something else, everyone would still call
it MVS.

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com