Dick Bond wrote:
> I agree with Chris Mason.   IBM should have never started called it USS -
>how about a simple definitive abbreviation, like "zUnix".  IBM adores
>putting a "z" in front of everything (for some clueless reason) so why
>should their version of Unix be any different?

That'd be "branding". Not clueless; indicates that it's the System z version of
something. Seems pretty clear and simple to me.

And it'd be "z/Unix" if it were done that way, because it's software. Hardware:
no slash (z900, z990, z9, zEnterprise); software: slash (z/OS, z/VM, z/VSE,
z/Architecture - yes, the architecture is software, go figure).

But yeah, it's confusing. IBM should have a TLA Czar, and an ETLA Czar
(obviously different people for no apparent reason!) who must rule on all such
acronyms.

Yes, I'm kidding about the last...
--
...phsiii