Well . . . my original post said "almost homophonic", but a quick trip to
m-w.com gave
"accept" \ik-ˈsept, ak- also ek-\
"except" \ik-ˈsept\

So, since Webster gave the same primary pronunciation for both, I thought that
I was maybe splitting hairs and removed the word "almost".

Suffice to say, probably because of the (almost) homophonic nature of the two
words and the potential for confusion, we rarely see "except" used as a simple
verb. We are more likely to see the verbal phrase "make an exception of".

Anyway, my final sentence stands:

Sadly, I sense that you (the poster) may have meant "accept".

Why sadly? Because, while not the popular position, I'm with Chris Mason on
this.
.
.
.