On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:34:01 -0400, J R <jayare...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I agree, why not zUnix?  Or z/Unix?

While I enjoy the "USS Naming Wars" immensely (NOT), this particular question
gets old, and I thought the answer would be obvious:  You cannot take other
peoples' trademarks and alter them or use them without permission.

UNIX is a registered trademark of the Open Group.  While it is convenient to
call something UNIX System Services, it doesn't really stand by itself.  The OS
in question is not UNIX, but it is the UNIX-branded part of z/OS.  It SHOULD
have the word z/OS in it.  I mean, perhaps the listener thinks you mean LINUX!

Someone else mentioned POSIX, a registered trademark of the IEEE.  They,
working with the Open Group, will grant permission to use the POSIX mark "to
certify that [...] computer operating systems comply with standards of
interoperability and portability based upon the UNIX operating system."

Back in 2002, IBM cancelled its OpenEdition trademark (I vaguely remember
reading in the media about some dispute with some other company.)  In z/VM, it
is called Open Extensions.

Sure, some the names IBM comes up with are strange, to say the least, but they
are not just random strings of characters.   That is, there's a method to the
madness, to be certain, but it's our particular *brand* of madness!  :-)

Alan Altmark
IBM