Dongles certainly can be fragile, and longer ones, such as the z/PDT's (around 2 inches or so) can easily be accidentally torqued and broken (or break the socket, whatever).

For that reason, I keep a supply of 6" long M/F USB cables which I use to separate the dongle from the PC chassis. That solves both the bump-it-and-break-it problem as well as damage from constant removal-and-reinsert.

Dongles are valuable. 6" USB cables are cheap.

Just saying...
Dave Cole