Scott Ford wrote:
>Yep dongles are not fool proof, then can break...it's hardware..I don't get
>the reason for dongles..

Or just lose it, then come back and we can have a nice war story thread... :-)

No, it is not funny despite my comment above. If you have 'sensitive',
'bread-and-butter', 'life-death' software on which your company needs to 'live'
and some *sshole 'lost' it, it is not fun trying to convince the vendor to
supply another dongle. (Been there and got a filthy t-shirt with invoice
printed on it from that stupid vendor... - figuratively speaking of course :-D )

Joel C. Ewing wrote:
> the only way now is grasp and pull the dongle base with a pair of needle-nose
> pliers, which works, but is certainly not the advertised convenience.

Yuck! Thats defect by design!!!

>The only "support" provided by the application vendor to remedy this situation
>is to re-purchase the software at full price to get a new dongle.

See my rant above. Maybe if I'm big and rich, I want to be such a scamming
vendor! Hmmm, I'm still dreaming of my private yatch at my own island with its
own airport + harbour... :-D

> Logic would suggest that this application should be able to migrate from Win
> XP to Win 7 without a problem, provided one can find support for the dongle
> on Win 7.

What logic? Try out the 'compatibility' settings or so on win7 on both driver
and software. No guarantees of course.

>A nice result for the application vendor if I'm forced to do an otherwise
>unnecessary upgrade at great cost, ....

I feel your pain. Just drop them if you can. :-(

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht