On 5/1/2012 4:39 AM, Andrew Rowley wrote:
Hi,

I have read a few articles that say that multiple periods are not recommended for batch service classes. Multiple periods seems to be considered a bit old fashioned.

I haven't been able to find anything clearly explaining why. I have always felt that they worked well. My best guess is that it is something to do with the behaviour of WLM managed initiators but I'm not sure.

Can anyone shed any light, or point me to some further reading?

As I understand things, queue time (i.e., clock time accumulated from job submission through initiation) is associated with first period only. Therefore decisions based on queue time -- e.g., whether new initiators should be added -- will not take multiperiod batch transaction completions into account

If only a small subset of batch transacations complete outside of first period, then this should not be a big problem. If most jobs complete outside first period, you get what you get. GIGO.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc