On 2/05/2012 5:32 AM, Edward Jaffe wrote:

As I understand things, queue time (i.e., clock time accumulated from
job submission through initiation) is associated with first period only.
Therefore decisions based on queue time -- e.g., whether new initiators
should be added -- will not take multiperiod batch transaction
completions into account

If only a small subset of batch transacations complete outside of first
period, then this should not be a big problem. If most jobs complete
outside first period, you get what you get. GIGO.

That makes sense. Period 2 can only work with what falls through from period 1, and obviously initiator settings can't be changed to benefit period 2 without affecting period 1.

Just theorizing about what the effect might be, I suppose if most jobs fall through to period 2, and you need more initiators started to properly satisfy the goal (including queue time) WLM wouldn't have the trigger to start more initiators because it doesn't see the queue time?

Would it work the other way too? Does a lack of work in period 1 prevent WLM from detecting that initiators should be stopped, or perhaps it stops them prematurely?

However, I'm not sure what use period 1 is if you don't have a significant percentage of your work completing there. My feeling is if most jobs complete outside first period the duration is wrong? That might not be uncommon of course. My understanding is that most completions should be in period 1, and most service consumed in period 2. If you can't satisfy that, I would agree that multiple periods are not recommended.

Regards

Andrew Rowley

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software Pty. Ltd.

EasySMF for z/OS: Interactive SMF Reports on Your PC
http://www.smfreports.com