On Mon, 21 May 2012 08:43:14 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 05/21/2012 at 12:15 AM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>Those generate parameter lists with a distinct CMS flavor.
>
>Not even close; 8 character tokenization is mickey mouse. The PLIST
>has a distinct REXX flavor. ...

Well, then, a CMS-Rexx flavor, with a pointer and a length.  I remember
being surprised and dismayed when Rexx first appeared in TSO/E 2
that address LINK/ATTACH (the -PGM and -MVS forms appeared only
later) that there was no way to generate an OS-conventional R1
PLIST.

> If you want to pass back variables to the
>caller, this is the way to go. Of course, which form you should use is
>determined by how you code the routine.

Perhaps the best way.  But address LINKPGM can also be used for
the purpose, particularly when interfacing with programs expecting
Assembler CALL linkage.  IBM does it in 'SYS1.SAMPLIB(CSFTEST)'.

-- gil