>Last week I saw that IBM is selling off *some* of their building
>downtown for condo's

You didn't say where. IBM sold its Cottle Road facility in San Jose. I
can't imagine how much it sold for, but given the value of property in
Silicon Valley, and given the potential cost of cleanup after 50 years
of disk manufacturing, they probably made out pretty well. I believe the
employees moved to SVL.

> IBM announced earlier this month that it plans to freeze pension
> benefits and put workers into a 401(k) plan

Defined benefit plans are endangered. If you have one, consider yourself
lucky. If you don't, good luck getting one. Even with the conversion to
401K, IBM's benefits are competitive with most US companies. This is
reality in 2006. Look at the pension obligations for GM and Ford to
understand why this change is commonplace.

Bob Shannon
Rocket Software