I've been working on a master's in accounting.  Still early in my efforts.
Have you seen anything about IBM being concerned about return on assets
rather than return on investment ? - Paul Hanrahan

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Bob Shannon
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 9:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM up for grabs?

>Last week I saw that IBM is selling off *some* of their building
>downtown for condo's

You didn't say where. IBM sold its Cottle Road facility in San Jose. I can't
imagine how much it sold for, but given the value of property in Silicon
Valley, and given the potential cost of cleanup after 50 years of disk
manufacturing, they probably made out pretty well. I believe the employees
moved to SVL.

> IBM announced earlier this month that it plans to freeze pension
> benefits and put workers into a 401(k) plan

Defined benefit plans are endangered. If you have one, consider yourself
lucky. If you don't, good luck getting one. Even with the conversion to
401K, IBM's benefits are competitive with most US companies. This is reality
in 2006. Look at the pension obligations for GM and Ford to understand why
this change is commonplace.

Bob Shannon
Rocket Software

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html