My research tells me you can do this with General Purpose CP's as well as
IFL's.  The down side of using CP's instead of IFL's is that the CPU
capacity used by the Coupling Facility are counted in the total size of the
machine for software licensing purposes.  You can even share CP's between
an Internal Coupling Facility (ICF) and z/OS LPAR's, but that is very
highly "not recommended".  Check out the "IBM @eserver zSeries 890 and z/OS
Reference Guide", particularly page 43.

We're planning for parallel sysplex (current configuration is 3 z/OS LPAR's
on a z890), and intend to buy a single z900 coupling facility, and define
an ICF on our z890 using shared CP's as a backup in case of hardware
failure on the z900.  We would never try to run duplexed CF's with this
configuration -- the z890 ICF would remain down except in the case of a
catastrophic failure of the z900.  We're not going for redundancy, just
trying to reduce planned outages via Parallel Sysplex.

Regards,
Cathy