No chance. DASD is to slow. Maybe software like ExHPDM could help here (in general it combines multiple data streams from DASD to one data stream to tape).
In my experience, disk and tape speeds keep improving every year, and keep leapfroging. As soon as tape gets faster than disk, new disks and channels improve disk speed. I guess it is wossname's rule, computer speeds double every 18 months.

for those not familiar with ExHPDM, it is a software product from StorageTek/Sun which takes multiple concurrent output datasets and merges them onto a single tape dataset. We support ExHPDM in FDR, to take several concurrent backups and write them to a single tape. ExHPDM is valuable when tape speed is significantly greater than disk speed, and less valuable when disk speed leapfrogs tape speed.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR