Since it's pointers rather than data, instant is a good choice of wording.
Creating a usable backup is NOT instant.

But, we're getting into semantics, I think.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

Let me describe how FDRABR with FDRINSTANT works.
1) ABR uses whatever "instant" replication tool exists (Flashcopy, Snap, etc) to create full-volume PiT copies of the selected disk volumes 2) at a later time, the user submits an ABR DUMP which reads the PiT copies and creates normal ABR backup tapes for the selecte disks or datasets. 3) However, the customer can do an ABR RESTORE for an entire volume or selected datasets AT ANY TIME. If the DUMP has not yet been done, we restore from the PiT copy automatically. If the DUMP was done, then we restore from tape normally. So the customer has a usable backup as soon as the PiT copies are created. It is not a backup you can send offsite until the DUMP is done. We even have an option where the customer can create the tape backup and STILL do restores from the PiT copy without mounting a tape.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR