Ed,

If you're interested in the history of "Longitude", you need to read this
book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140258795/002-0790976-0169613?v=glance&n=283155
I guess I should say "Watch the wrap". I located it using "amazon sobel
longitude".

You should also visit this site:
http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/
and, its sister site:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/

Best, of course, would be to visit both physically. For good measure, here's
the site as Giovanni Antonio Canal,aka Canaletto, saw it - although how he's
managed to avoid including the observatory at the top of the hill is a
mystery:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/ViewLargeImage.cfm?ID=BHC1827&letter=G

Your quoted article doesn't really start at the beginning. As today, nobody
raises a fuss over anything unless prompted. In the case of that petition to
Parliament it was the wonderfully named Admiral Sir Cloudisley Shovell who
had a bit of bother off the British coast due to not really knowing where he
was. All hands bar two were lost and one of those - the knight himself as it
happens - didn't last long. Check
http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/testtime.html
which shows - a sad joke I fear - that "timing is everything".

Chris Mason