Hal Merritt wrote:
Gee, I sure am glad no one told us it could not be done. I have two
OSA's servicing five LPARs with 15 'static' IP addresses each and
another dozen VIPA's that wander around.
I want very much to use the third OSA and dynamic routing to eliminate a
single point of failure, but the network folks aren't on board yet.
Is Cisco the root source of this misinformation? There seems to be a
number of very curious misperceptions that seem to be common to Cisco
trained folks.
OBTW: one reason for lots of VIPA's is where you have lots of IP
applications and you want to be able to move them around to different
LPARs. So, you assign as many VIPA addresses as you need to each
application. You then include the VIPA adds to the application startup
process and VIPA deletes to the shutdown process. Works well for us.

We just started implmenting dynamic VIPA's. We added the ranges to each z/OS system, do port reservartions with the STC's name and the specific IP address we want them to bind to. TCPIP will dynamically add and remove the IP addresses on which ever z/OS we start the application(s) on. With OSPF the route table are update dynamically also, after the initial setup is done, we move things around, no fuss, no muss.