On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:09:15 -0600, Ed Gould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Feb 26, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Eric N. Bielefeld wrote:
>
>> We have shared dasd between our Prod & Test Lpars ever since we had
>> Lpars over 10 years ago.  I have never seen a problem.  Now, most
>> of the stuff that is shared is load libraries that are shared with
>> the Test Lpar, rather than keeping 2 copies.  All production data
>> is only online normally on the Prod lpar.
>>

>Eric,
>
>Count yourself lucky. Don't bury your head in the sand. The extra
>cost (in overhead) is peanuts, IMO.
>There is no excuse since GRS is free (or almost, ok a couple of bucks).
>Sooner or later you will be burned.

There are no free rides.   There are costs in performance and possibly
hardware depending on the configuration used to set up a GRS ring
(although things have changed over the years with sysplex, GRS over
XCF etc.).

I'm not advocating doing this, but I have been at lots of shops that
do so.  As long as they know the risks and can manage them, I don't
see the problem.  Several of my long time clients in small shops did
the same thing for their sysprog sandbox LPARs.  Considering only
3 or 4 people (sysprogs) could ever logon to those test systems, I
would say the risk was very managable.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group