Pommier, Rex R. wrote:
If it's no longer supported does that mean I can quit paying for it?

Well, in this case OTC (One Time Charge, typical to "open systems") sounds much more reasonable than MLC (monthly LC).
It could be even fair to stop receiving fee from *existing* customers.

They still support the hardware, though.  What sense does it make to
support the hardware but not the software that makes it usable?

It doesn't make any sense. BTW: What sense does it make to use 6+ year old hardware with capacity comparable to single PC disk ? OK, some smaller (and poor) shops see the sense. In this case I would recommend other vendors storage (second hand). Really cheap, faster, more capacity.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland