Hi John,

 Systems/C can run on your AIX/Win32 environment and generate mainframe
 programs (i.e. it can cross-compile); with that you can use your
 existing build environment to build the mainframe program.  In fact,
 with Systems/C, you can actually link on your AIX/Win32 platform
 generating a TSO TRANSMIT file that can unloaded on your mainframe.

 You don't need to worry about the digraphs/trigraphs, all of the
 mainframe compilers will support brackets, etc...

 As far as generating something that is callable from ASM and COBOL,
 the Systems/C "Direct CALL" (DCALL) environment is perfect for that.
 You could generate a function that is directly callable from both
 of those.

 For more information about Direct-CALL, see the Direct-CALL chapter
 in the Systems/C Library Reference (http://www.dignus.com/dcc/clib.pdf)

 If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!

        - Dave Rivers -

john stephens wrote:
Hey all,

I have recently inhereted an application that was written in C on a Win32 / AIX platform that needs to be moved up to the mainframe (z/OS V1R4.0).

I have never had to use the C compiler on the MF and to say I am confused would be an understatment. I know I am missing some connecting dots.

In order to compile the routine we have had to replace all our square brackets with trigraphs and digraphs. I know there has to be a compile option that pretty much emululates a win32 or AIX environment as far as acceptable chars.

Also, this routine is going to be used as a called subroutine by both Assembler and COBOL. In the Win32 envirionnment, I don't need a 'main' section and I can compile it into a .dll thereby making it unique and callable. However, on the MF I can't get past the compile without a 'main'.

And linking is another problem... sigh...

I'm looking for a boost up here. Is there someone on the list who would be willing to help me work through some of the issues I'm having?

Many Many thanks in advance.

John Stephens
jls(at)jkstephens<dot>net

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com