On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:53:24 -0500, john stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>A couple of questions.  What is the purpose of the pre-link steps and
under
>what conditions (if any) are they required / optional?

Prelink is used to process side decks when you do DLL work.
.

What I gave you was a cutdown of our standard job and the prelinker is in
there because if we turned the DLL options on it would be necessary.  More
or less.

Don't worry about it.

You may be able to get away without prelinking.  Suck it and see.

However if you have problems better put the prelink step back in.

>I would prefer to have the stub program be in assembler.  Can I assume
that
>standard rules apply (ie. loading parm list at R1 and BALR R14,R15 or
BASSM
>R14,R15)?

You **CAN'T** write the wrapper in Assembler.

This is because of Language Environment constraints.

<immensely simplifed>

Basically under LE you have "proper" LE programs and ordinary OS linkage
programs.

The LE programs have extra register conventions - I think R11 has to point
to a control block or summat

Roughly:

LE programs are COBOL or C or PL/I

OS programs are assembler

LE programs can call LE programs

LE programs can call ordinary OS programs

OS programs can **not** call LE programs (without risking disaster)

"CALL" here refers to COBOL CALL, C function call, and most legal ways of
transferring control in batch

Therefore the call

COBOL MAINLINE -> COBOL WRAPPER -> C function

Is Ok but the call

COBOL MAINLINE -> OS assembler wrapper -> C function

is not

</immensely simplified>

There are many qualifications to the above but basically you had better
make it a COBOL wrapper if you want it to work.   If you insist on
assembler I can't help.

You can do DLLs in OS batch as well but as I said that is a different
process, we can go into it if you want.

I suggest that if you do this you isolate DLLs in one load library and
keep ordinary load modules in another and don't mix them.