On Wednesday 22 March 2006 04:09, Andy Robertson wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:47:20 -0500, john stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

....snip.....

> This is static not dynamic  linkage but bear with me
>
> We faced similar problems to you with the additional constraint that we
> had to call our dynamically loadable subroutines from Assembler, Cobol,
> non-LE-compliant assembler, and C mains, all of them pre-existing and some
> calling old routines written in assembler or COBOL which we wanted to
> replace by C routines of the same name.
>
> Some of these calls used dynamic COBOL load, some used the LOAD macro.
>
> We could not use DLL because you can't mix DLLs and COBOL dynamic load in
> one run unit.
>

> Our solution was to wrap our C routines in a small COBOL wrapper, then
> they look to everything like COBOL.  You just call your C code  from a
> cobol program (as above) but you make the COBOL program a subroutine and
> call  the COBOL subroutine from your mainlines.    Inelegant but works
> robustly.
>

> If you can create a new clean run time environment and you have no
> assembler you can go for DLL on MVS (I can show you how to do this as
> well).

Andy,

Thank you.  This is a tremendous help.

A couple of questions.  What is the purpose of the pre-link steps and under
what conditions (if any) are they required / optional?

I would prefer to have the stub program be in assembler.  Can I assume that
standard rules apply (ie. loading parm list at R1 and BALR R14,R15 or BASSM
R14,R15)?