I must admit that I wasn't following the thread that closely, and internal security policy may dictate otherwise, but ssh should provide sufficient protection. If the original poster is on the outside and needs a connection to a mainframe, ssh to a intermediate host may be enough. Once on the inside, it may be acceptable to be clear text. Traffic to the remote user will always be encrypted.

Paul Gilmartin wrote:
In a recent note, Rich Smrcina said:

Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:19:47 -0600

Although technically correct that Putty can not do 3270, if the original
poster can ssh into a Linux machine with the x3270 suite installed, they
can use c3270 to access their 3270 based hosts.  c3270 is ncurses based
and should work over a standard telnet/ssh connection.

Does this not thwart any supposed security objective in the original
Putty requirement?  Or is it presumed the Linux-mainframe connection
is secure (a fair bet if the "Linux machine" is an LPAR connected
via Hipersocket)?  Or am I simply overlooking an ironic content in
your remark?

-- gil

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2006 - Chattanooga, TN - April 7-11, 2006