>I've heard the "taken from VM's TCP/IP stack" story from several
different >sources, too.

IIRC, the stack was ported and subsequently supported by someone at the
T.J. Watson Lab. At SHARE there were a few people, primarily from the
government and universities, who used it. We used to laugh at their
problems - this is probably 12 or more years ago. Then there was a
sudden push by IBM to have customers upgrade to the newest release. It
turns out they lost the source for the older release and couldn't
support it. That may have pushed IBM to move TCP/IP it to a mainstream
development lab.

Bob Shannon