Roy,

The various posts have mentioned a few things that we can do with the USP
(and previous generations), and some sites have been able use achieve this
dual personality - but only after some very careful planning.

However, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

As Radoslaw mentioned, we can also use this capability to do TrueCopy
between a unit emulating 2105, and another unit that only supports 3990
emulation (e.g. from Lightning 9900V to 7700E.)

In the TrueCopy case, it means that PPRC commands cannot be used to manage
the storage because the OS wants to see 2105 format commands with the LSS
specified, but the controller rejects the commands because TrueCopy is
dealing with a 3990. This is one of the reasons why we do not recommend this
sort of dual personality setup.

Michael and I have talked offline and your comment regarding toleration for
2105 devices genned as 3990 may be what he is looking for.

Ron